Yoo Ah In Profile
- Birth Name: 엄홍식 (Uhm Hong Sik)
- Stage Name: 유아인 (Yoo Ah In)
- Nationality: South Korean
- Date of Birth: 1986.10.06
- Zodiac Sign: Libra
- Chinese Zodiac: Tiger
- Height: 179 cm (5’87)
- Weight: 71 kg (156.5 lbs)
- Blood Type: A
- Agency: United Artists Agency (UAA)
- Personal Social Media: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook
Yoo Ah In Facts & TMI
- Yoo Ah In is one of the most critically claimed actors in South Korea at the moment.
- He was born and grew up in Daegu.
- His family consists of mother, father, two older sisters, and two Sphynx cats called Dobi and Jangbi.
- He doesn’t have religion.
- He used Yoo Ah In as his stage name because he thought that his birth name sounds very old fashioned.
- He debuted in an instant noodle advertisement in 2003.
- Yoo Ah In passed the high school GED examination then enrolled at Dankook University College of Arts and Performance. He dropped out of university and enrolled at Konkuk University School of Arts and Design before dropping out of university for the second time.
- He was street-cast in front of his school when he was still a teenager.
- He left Daegu and continue his study in Seoul. He lived alone in his agency’s dorm in Seoul.
- Yoo Ah In said in a radio interview that he didn’t exactly aspire to be an actor, he only want to be a celebrity.
- He even received vocal training in preparation to be a singer.
- After starring in a CF, he made a TV debut through teen drama ‘Rounding’ in 2004 under the stage name Yoo Ah In. Later in 2006, he was cast in the indie movie ‘Boys Of Tomorrow’.
- Yoo Ah In’s breakthrough was in 2010 when he appeared in the period drama ‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’.
- He became Chungmuro’s blue-chip with excellent acting skills and star power.
- He especially has a good eye for picking projects.
- Almost all of Yoo Ah In’s movies achieved critical acclaims, namely ‘Punch’ (2011), ‘Veteran’ (2015), ‘The Throne’ (2015), ‘Burning’ (2018), and ‘Voice of Silence’ (2020).
- In 2014, he launched a contemporary art gallery Studio Concrete with his fellow artist crew. Yoo Ah In also acts as representative and art director for Studio Concrete.
- He wrote poems that he published in his personal blog between 2006 to 2011.
- Yoo Ah In is also known as a fashionista that frequently releases collaborative lines with local designers.
- He shared that he rarely appears on variety shows because he has anxiety when appearing in one.
- He revealed that he also has stage fright.
- From his early debut days, Yoo Ah In has a rebel image.
- He said that he likes portraying characters with tragic stories.
- Although he used to think that his name sounds countrified, he comfortably uses his birth name now.
- He currently resides in Itaewon, Seoul.
- He is quite a “baby face”. He explained that looking young was his complex, but as he get older, he likes the fact that he looks young.
- Yoo Ah In intentionally put on weights to 70 kg to look masculine enough for the role he plays.
- It is revealed that he experienced near-death accidents twice.
- He has sweet tooth, his favorites are ice cream, bingsu (shaved ice), chocolate, Haribo jelly, etc.
- He loves cooking and claims to be good at it.
- He loves music, especially hip-hop music. Several musicians he mentioned on his SNS are JUSTHIS, HONNE, Hyukoh, Kim Yun A, etc.
- Yoo Ah In owns a Tesla Model X car.
- He is an Apple user (phone, watch, notebook, tablet PC, etc).
- He is close friends with Song Hye Kyo, Jung Yu Mi, and Peggy Gou.
- There was a rumor saying that Yoo Ah In is a gay,
- He was exempted from military duty due to shoulder injury although he applied for medical re-examination 5 times.
- He was invited to Cannes Film Festival for ‘Burning’ premiere screening in 2018. ‘Burning’ earned him international recognition and placed him as one of South Korea’s most famous actors.
- He has been nominated for more than 50 awards and has modeled for more than 50 brands throughout his career.
- He participated in a lot of charities and made donations to support orphanages.
- He has participated in a lot of campaigns for famous brands namely Cartier, Balenciaga, Calvin Klein, Burberry, Diesel, Absolut Vodka, McD’s McCafe, Burger King, Puma, and Diadora.
- Yoo Ah In placed 2nd in Forbes’ Korea Power Celebrity List 2016.
- He belongs to Youngwol Uhm clan.
- His fans nicknamed him Hongsiki and Umongsik.
‘Boys of Tomorrow’ as Jeon Jong Dae (2006/ Independent movie)
‘Skeletons in the Closet’ as Shim Yong Tae (2007)
‘Antique’ as Yang Ki Beom (2008)
‘Sky and Ocean’ as Jing Go (2009)
‘Punch’ as Do Wan Deuk (2011)
‘Tough as Iron’ as Gang Cheol (2013)
‘The Satellite Girl and Milk Cow’ as Ko Kyung Chun/ Milk Cow (2014/ Animated film)
‘Thread of Lies’ as Choo Sang Bak (2014)
‘Veteran’ as Jo Tae Oh (2015)
‘The Throne’ as Crown Prince Sado (2015)
‘Like for Likes’ as Noh Jin Woo (2016)
‘CCRT Aerospace : Episode 1 Fragile : The Other Space’ as Man (2016/ Short film/ Also producer)
‘Burning’ as Lee Jong Su (2018)
‘The Interview’ as Himself (2018/ Short film/ Also producer)
‘Default’ as Yun Jeong Hak (2018)
‘Sender Unknown’ as Himself (2019/ Chinese short film)
‘#Alive’ as Joon Woo (2020)
‘Voice of Silence’ as Tae In (2020)
‘The Match’ as Lee Chang Ho (TBA)
‘High Five’ (TBA)
‘Seoul Vibe’ as Dong Wook (TBA/ Netflix Film)
‘Honest Living’ as Man #2 (SBS/ 2003/ Extra, episode 164)
‘Sharp’ as Yoo Ah In (KBS2/ 2004–2005)
‘April Kiss’ as 16-year-old Kang Jae Sup (KBS2/ 2004/ Special appearance, episode 1)
‘Drama City: Shi-eun & Soo-ha’ as Lee Min Suk (KBS2/ 2005)
‘Strongest Chil Woo’ as Heuksan/ Kim Hyuk (KBS2/ 2008)
‘He Who Can’t Marry’ as Park Hyun Kyu (KBS2/ 2009)
‘Sungkyunkwan Scandal’ as Moon Jae Shin (KBS2/ 2010)
‘Fashion King’ as Kang Young Gul (SBS/ 2012)
‘Jang Ok Jung, Living by Love’ as King Sukjong (SBS/ 2013)
‘Secret Affair’ as Lee Sun Jae (jTBC/ 2014)
‘Discovery of Love’ as Woodworking class student (KBS2/ 2014/ Cameo, episode 16)
‘Six Flying Dragons’ as Yi Bang Won (SBS/ 2015–2016)
‘Descendants of the Sun’ as Bank teller Uhm Hong Sik (KBS2/ 2016/ Cameo, episode 13)
‘Chicago Typewriter’ as Han Se Joo/ Seo Hwi Young (tvN/ 2017)
‘Hellbound’ as Jeong Jin Soo (Netflix/ 2021)
Hosting & Variety Show
‘Sponge’ (KBS2/ 2005/ Guest, episode 68)
‘Cinema Heaven’ (EBS/ 2007/ Guest, episode 659)
‘Trend Report Feel Season 2’ (Mnet/ 2008/ Guest, episode 52)
‘Come to Play’ (MBC/ 2008/ Guest, episode 219)
‘YaSimManMan’ (MBC/ 2009/ Guest, episode 25)
‘Yoo Ah In’s Launch My Life’ (Mnet/ 2011/ Music Curator)
‘Running Man’ (SBS/ 2013/ Guest, episode 164)
‘Wan Deuk Who Wants to Fly’ (KBS1/ 2014/ Documentary Narrator)
‘June Story’ as Documentary Narrator (KBS1/ 2017/ Documentary commemorating 30th Anniversary of June Struggle)
‘Eyewitnesses of Syria’ (SBS/ 2018/ Documentary)
‘Do-ol Ah-in Going All Directions’ (KBS1/ 2019/ Host, co-writer, co-producer, a Special show commemorating 100th Anniversary of March 1st Movement)
‘Movie Room’ (JTBC/ 2020)
‘I Live Alone’ (MBC/ 2020/ Guest, episode 350-351)
‘Footprints’ by T.O (2004)
‘Only One’ by BoA (2012)
‘Heung-boo’ by DJ Peggy Gou (2016)
‘Starry Night’ by DJ Peggy Gou (2019)
‘Jayu’ by Se So Neon (2021)
If you have more fun facts about Yoo Ah In, write down in the comment section below!