Gong Yoo Profile
- Birth Name: 공지철 (Gong Jicheol)
- Stage Name: 공유 (Gong Yoo)
- Nationality: South Korean
- Date of Birth: 1979.07.10
- Zodiac Sign: Cancer
- Chinese Zodiac: Sheep
- Height: 184.5 cm (6’05″)
- Weight: N/A
- Blood Type: A
- Agency: Management Soop
- Debut: 1999
- Personal Social Media: Fancafe
Gong Yoo Facts & TMI
- Gong Yoo was born in Busan.
- He lived in Busan until graduating high school.
- His family member consists of mother, father, and an older sister.
- He is a Catholic, his baptismal name is Joseph.
- Gong Yoo holds a master degree in performing arts from Kyunghee University.
- His stage name “Gong Yoo” is derived from his father’s family name “Gong” and his mother’s family name “Yoo”.
- He debuted as a model in 1999.
- He officially starting a career in the entertainment industry after becoming an Mnet VJ in 2020.
- He debuted as an actor in 2001 through KBS drama ‘School 4’.
- In 2007 Gong Yoo became a household name after his drama ‘Coffee Prince’ hit big in South Korea and all over Asia.
- Gong Yoo is one of a few actors who consistently active in taking both movie and drama projects. In 2016 he finally hit the biggest point in his career for his performance in that year’s most popular drama ‘Goblin’ and mega-hit zombie movie ‘Train to Busan’.
- He enlists in the military as an active-duty soldier in January 2008 and was discharged in December 2009.
- ‘Train to Busan’ is Gong Yoo’s first work that recorded more than 10 million audience.
- With a clean image and acknowledged acting skills, Gong Yoo has become one of the most high-profile actors in the entertainment industry proven by 50+ advertisement deals throughout his career.
- Gong Yoo decided to star in ‘Goblin’ after continuously received casting offers from the screenwriter Kim Eunsook.
- He was involved in a dating scandal with actress Lim Soojung.
- After appearing together in both ‘Train to Busan’ and ‘Kim Jiyoung 1982’, Gong Yoo was rumoured to be in a relationship with Jung Yumi.
- He is a fan of the baseball club Lotte Giants.
- He also joined the celebrity baseball team called Playboys.
- He owns a Kia K7 hybrid.
- He is a fan of basketball player Stephen Curry.
- Gong Yoo was a smart student, he shared that he entered top 20 ranks during his middle school days.
- He doesn’t like talking or revealing his private life to the public.
- His mother had a conception dream of a utility pole with a face on top.
- Gong Yoo became the icon of Kanu, a coffee brand that he has been advertising for 10 years.
- Gong Yoo is the best friend and relative of actor Kang Dongwon.
- Gong Yoo also recommended Kang Dongwon to star in ‘Train to Busan’ sequel ‘Peninsula’.
- He is known to be friends with Lee Dongwook, Haha, Cho Seho, and Yoo Jaesuk.
- His shoe size is 280 mm.
‘My Tutor Friend’ as Lee Jongsoo (2003)
‘Spy Girl’ as Choi Kobong (2004)
‘Superstar Mr. Gam’ as Park Chulsoo (2004)
‘S Diary’ as Yooin (2004)
‘She’s on Duty’ as Kang Noyoung (2005)
‘Like a Dragon’ as Park Chul (2007)
‘Finding Mr. Destiny’ as Han Gijoon (2010)
‘Silenced’ as Kang Inho (2011)
‘The Suspect’ as Ji Dongchul (2013)
‘A Man and a Woman’ as Kihong (2016)
‘Train to Busan’ as Seokwoo (2016)
‘The Age of Shadows’ as Kim Woojin (2016)
‘Kim Ji-young: Born 1982’ as Jung Daehyun (2019)
‘Seo Bok’ as Gi Heon (2021)
‘School 4’ as Hwang Taeyoung (2001/ KBS2)
‘Whenever the Heart Beats’ as Park Chanho (2002/ KBS2)
‘Hard Love’ as Seo Kyungchul (2002/ KBS2)
’20 Years’ as Seo Joon (2003/ SBS2)
‘Best Theater: Flying Saucer’ as Ki Jin (2003/ MBC)
‘Screen’ as Kim Joonpyo (2003/ SBS)
‘My Room, Your Room’ as Kim Sungjoon (2003/ Internet Drama)
‘Hello My Teacher’ as Park Taein (2005/ SBS)
‘One Fine Day’ as Seo Gun (2006/ MBC)
‘Coffee Prince’ as Choi Hankyul (2007/ MBC)
‘Big’ as Seo Yoonjae/ Kang Kyungjoon (2012/ KBS2)
‘Dating Agency: Cyrano’ as Magician (2013/ tvN/ Cameo)
‘Guardian: The Lonely and Great God’ as Goblin/ Kim Shin (2016–2017/ tvN)
‘Squid Game‘ (2021/ Netflix/ Special appearance)
‘The Silent Sea’ as Han Yoonjae (TBA/ Netflix)
‘Be Happy’ by Why (2001)
‘How I Am’ by Kim Dongryul (2014)
‘Best Music 27’ (Mnet/ 2000)
‘Music Camp’ (MBC/ 2004)
‘Yoo Heeyeol’s Sketchbook’ (KBS2/ 2010/ as guest episode 76)
‘Running Man’ (SBS/ 2013/ as guest episode 175)
‘Wooktalk’ (SBS/ 2019/ as guest episode 1~2)
‘My Dear Youth – Coffee Prince’ (MBC/ 2020)
‘Yoo Quiz on the Block’ (tvN/ 2020/ as guest episode 82)
If you have more fun facts about Gong Yoo, write down in the comment section below!