Jung Woo Sung Profile
- Birth Name: 정우성 (Jung Woo Sung)
- Stage Name: Jung Woo Sung
- Nationality: South Korean
- Date of Birth: 1973.04.22
- Zodiac Sign: Taurus
- Chinese Zodiac: Ox
- Height: 186 cm (5’1)
- Weight: 80 kg (176.3 lbs)
- Blood Type: N/A
- Agency: Artist Company
- Personal Social Media: Instagram
Jung Woo Sung Facts & TMI
- Jung Woo Sung was born in Seoul.
- He is the youngest of three. He has an elder brother (Jang Woo Chun, born 1964) and an elder sister (Jung Myung Hee).
- His father passed away in April 2020.
- Approaching his 50s, Jung Woo Sung hasn’t married yet.
- He doesn’t have religion.
- He attended Gyeonggi Commercial High School to prepare career as a bank employee, but dropped out when he was in the first grade of high school.
- Aside from his acting and directing career, Jung Woo Sung has become South Korea’s standard of handsomeness for nearly 30 years.
- He grew up in a financially poor household. He even shared that his family was the last to leave the redevelopment area of Sadang-dong, Dongjak-gu, Seoul.
- Living in poor conditions, he focused more to earn for his family than on his education back then.
- It was revealed that Jung Woo Sung was already 183 cm during the 6th grade of elementary school.
- Because of his tall height and big build, people often mistook him for an adult and employed him as a part-timer. When he was a 3rd grader of middle school, he worked part-time in a hamburger shop in front of Seomoon Girls High School.
- It was said that the students of Seomoon High lined up the hamburger shop just to get a glimpse of Jung Woo Sung, proving his popularity in the pre-debut days.
- He confessed that he suffered from discrimination due to his poor family background.
- It can be seen that Jung Woo Sung’s interest in the underprivileged may be due to this growth background.
- When he was working part-time at a coffee shop, he was cast by an entertainment industry official and started modeling.
- He first appeared on TV as CF model and guest on weekend variety shows.
- He made a surprising debut in 1994 through the movie ‘The Fox With Nine Tails’, but it failed to impress the audience.
- Jung Woo Sung himself said that he is also embarrassed to see his acting in the movie ‘The Fox With Nine Tails’.
- In 1995 he stole viewers’ hearts for his handsome appearance in the comic adaptation drama ‘Asphalt Man’.
- He received negative reviews for his acting for his next projects.
- His acting in movies ‘Beat’ and ‘City Of The Rising Sun’ finally achieved the public’s acknowledgment and placed him on the top star list.
- He became best friends with Lee Jung Jae after acting together in ‘City Of The Rising Sun’.
- His movie ‘The Good, The Bad, The Weird’ in 2009 successfully attracted 6 million moviegoers, becoming one of his most successful projects to date.
- He is also a successful advertisement model. He has modeled for more than 60 brands since his debut, including LG, Samsung, Sony, Phillips, and Kia.
- He won several Best Leading Actor and Grand Prizes during the 2019 award seasons for his performance in the movie ‘Innocent Witness’.
- Jung Woo Sung was listed in Forbes’ Korea power Celebrity in 2015 (16th), 2017 (21st), and 2018 (17th).
- He challenged himself in directing by directing music videos for boy group g.o.d.
- Jung Woo Sung continued to direct promotional short films and omnibus films before making his directorial debut in the commercial film ‘Guardian’.
- Jung Woo Sung and best friend Lee Jung Jae co-founded an entertainment agency called Artist Company in 2016.
- He was appointed by UNHCR Korea as a goodwill ambassador for the organization. He received critics from some people in South Korea for his involvement in helping refugees.
- He rarely opens up about his private matters including romantic relationships. He was confirmed to be dating actress and ‘Athena’ co-star Lee Ji Ah in 2011. The two broke up shortly after.
- Jung Woo Sung is considered a celebrity among celebrities as mentioned by other popular actors such as Kang Dong Won, Gong Hyo Jin, Kwon Sang Woo, Kim Hye Soo, Sung Si Kyung, Won Bin, Jo In Sung, Ju Ji Hoon, Shin Dong Yup, and many more.
- He jokingly admitted(?) that he is indeed handsome in several interviews. His witty remarks amused public at that time.
- He was exempted from the military because he is “only” a middle school graduate.
- He also founded a fashion business with Lee Jung Jae in the past.
- Jung Woo Sung is considered a top action actor in his age range.
- According to the testimony(?) of his junior Ju Ji Hoon, Jung Woo Sung doesn’t really cook at home. His home is very clean.
- He donated 100.000USD in the effort to overcome the spread of COVID-19 in South Korea.
‘The Fox with Nine Tails’ as Hyuk (1994)
‘Born to Kill’ as Kil (1994)
‘Shanghai Grand’ as Ryu So Hwang (1996)
‘Beat’ as Min (1997)
‘Motel Cactus’ as Lee Mi Ku (1997)
‘City of the Rising Sun’ as Do Chul (1998)
‘Phantom: The Submarine’ as Number 431 (1999)
‘Love’ as Myung Soo (1999)
‘Musa’ as Yeo Sol (2001)
‘Mutt Boy’ as Cha Cheol Min (2003)
‘A Moment to Remember’ as Cheol Su (2004)
‘Sad Movie’ as Jin Woo (2005)
‘Daisy’ as Park Yi (2006)
‘The Restless’ as Yi Gwak (2006)
‘The Good, the Bad, the Weird’ as Park Do Won, the Good (2008)
‘Present’ as Min Woo (2009/ W Korea short film)
‘A Good Rain Knows’ as Park Dong Ha (2009)
‘Reign of Assassins’ as Jiang Ah Sheng/ Zhang Renfang (2010)
‘Cold Eyes’ as James (2013)
‘The Divine Move’ as Tae Seok (2014)
‘Scarlet Innocence’ as Shim Hak Kyu (2014)
‘Don’t Forget Me’ as Seok Won (2016)
‘Asura: The City of Madness’ as Han Do Kyung (2016)
‘The King’ as Han Kang Sik (2017)
‘Steel Rain’ as Eom Chul Woo (2017)
‘Intention’ as Narrator (2018/ Documentary)
‘Illang: The Wolf Brigade’ as Jang Jin Tae (2018)
‘Innocent Witness’ as Soon Ho (2019)
‘Trade Your Love’ as Traffic cop (2019/ Cameo)
‘Beasts Clawing at Straws’ as Tae Young (2020)
‘Steel Rain 2: Summit’ as Han Kyeong Jae, President of South Korea (2020)
‘Guardian’ as Soo Hyuk (TBA/ also director)
‘Hunt’ as Kim Jung Do (TBA/ Lee Jung Jae directorial debut film)
‘Asphalt Man’ as Kang Dong Suk (SBS/ 1995)
‘Oxtail Soup’ (SBS/ 1996)
‘1.5’ as Lee Jang Wook (MBC/ 1996)
‘Athena: Goddess of War’ as Lee Jung Woo (SBS/ 2010)
‘Good Life ~Arigatou, Papa. Sayonara~’ as Dr. Lee (Fuji TV/ 2011/ Special appearance, episodes 6-7)
‘Padam Padam’ as Yang Kang Chil (JTBC/ 2011)
‘Delayed Justice’ as Park Sam Soo (SBS/ 2021)
‘After You Left Me’ by g.o.d (2000)
‘You Just Don’t Know’ by g.o.d (2002)
‘Sad Love’ by g.o.d (2002)
‘A Fool’by g.o.d (2002)
‘EGO’ (2012/ also cast)
‘Love (4랑)’ (2013/ Samsung Galazy S4 promotional short film)
‘Beginning of a Dream’ (2013/ Short film)
‘The Killer Behind the Old Man’ (2014/ Short film from ‘Three Charmed Lives’)
‘Guardian’ (TBA/ also cast)
‘사랑은 언제나 목마르다’ by Youme (2002)
‘남인신십마’ by 위란 JW (2010)
‘Men without Women’ by Yoon Jong Shin (2014)
‘Running Man’ (SBS/ 2013/ Guest, episode 151 & 152)
‘Infinite Challenge’ (MBC/ 2016/ Guest, episode 499 & 500)
If you have more fun facts about Jung Woo Sung, write down in the comment section below!