Jun Ji Hyun Profile
- Birth Name: 왕지현 (Wang Ji Hyun)
- Stage Name: 전지현 (Jun Ju Hyun/ Gianna Jun)
- Nationality: South Korean
- Date of Birth: 1981.10.30
- Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
- Chinese Zodiac: Rabbit
- Height: 173 cm (5’67”)
- Weight: 52 kg (114.64 lbs)
- Blood Type: B
- Agency: Culture Depot
- Personal Social Media: N/A
Jun Ji Hyun Facts & TMI
- Jun Ji Hyun was born Wang Ji Hyun.
- She was born and grew up in Samseong-dong, Seoul.
- She has an older brother (Wang Sang Jin, born 1976), mother (Mook Chang Ae), and father (Wang Jeong Cheo).
- She married a non-celebrity husband Choi Joon Hyuk in 2012. She has two sons Choi Won Woo (born 2016.01.10) and Choi Pyeong Woo (born 2018.01.26).
- She is a Buddhist.
- She graduated from Dongguk University with a master’s degree in Arts and Performance.
- She debuted as a magazine model in 1997 when she was 17.
- She was scouted by a big actor agency at that time Sidus, and began receiving acting lessons while starring in various commercials.
- She started using “Jun Ji Hyun” as her stage name when she made an acting debut in the 1998 drama ‘Steal My Heart’.
- Jun Ji Hyun became a host in SBS music program ‘Inkigayo’ in 1998.
- She made a big-screen debut in a movie titled ‘While Valentine.
- Her drama ‘Happy Together’ aired in 1999 earned her Best New Actress Awards at Baeksang Arts Awards and SBS Drama Awards 1999. It was also commercially successful, reaching the highest viewership of 37.9% during its broadcast.
- It can be said she earned her current top star status thanks to the 2001’s romantic comedy movie ‘My Sassy Girl’. The film was even exported to Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Japan.
- Her English name is Gianna.
- She started advancing her career by starring in Hollywood movies ‘Blood’ in 2018, followed by ‘Snow Flower And The Secret Fan’ in 2011. Unfortunately, both of her Hollywood project received negative responses.
- Starting from 2012, she enjoyed a heyday in her career after appearing in hit after hit: movies ‘The Thieves’, ‘The Berlin File’, ‘Assassination’, as well as the popular drama ‘You Who Came from the Star’ and ‘The Legend of the Blue Sea’.
- Throughout her career, she has modeled for more than 100 brands, earning her the title of ‘CF Queen’.
- Her husband is the same age as her (1981 born) and was her schoolmate in elementary school. Her husband is known as the grandchildren of famous hanbok designer Lee Young Hee.
- She donated all of the congratulatory money she received for her wedding.
- Jun Ji Hyun is a very influential celebrity in South Korea, every item she wore in her drama or ads is always sold out.
- Her father has been running a business since she was child, so they got to live in the neighborhood of Gangnam which is known as an elite residence for wealthy families.
- Her surname is quite rare in Korea. Since she belongs to the Gaeseong Wang clan, she is a direct descendant of the Goryeo Dynasty.
- She is known to own a Bentley Flying Spur.
- The director of her first drama ‘Steal My Heart’ suggested that she’d better use a stage name and recommended her to use the family name “Jun” instead of “Wang”.
- She endorsed various luxury brands from Chanel to Alexander McQueen.
- She has a lot of properties that totaled up to US$ 50 million in 2020.
- She was hoobae of former FIN.K.L member Ok Joo Hyun during middle school.
- She is said to be a lot funnier and friendlier than people had expected.
- Debuting in 1998, she only shot a kissing scene in 2011 with Hugh Jackman in the movie ‘Snow Flower And The Secret Fan’.
- Jun Ji Hyun is one of the highest-paid actresses in the country, she received US$ 300.000 for portraying Yenicall in the movie ‘The Thieves’.
- She was nicknamed ‘Dongguk University Queen’ alongside actress Kim So Yeon and Cho Yeo Jeong when she was still attending college.
- She is close to g.o.d members who were her labelmate when she was still under SidusHQ.
- She mentioned Lee Young Ae, Kim Yoon Jin, and Han Ye Seul as her close celebrity friends.
- She resides with her husband and two sons Hannam-dong area.
- Her shoe size is 245 mm.
- She has a mole on her nose that became her “trademark”.
- In 2020, Jun Ji Hyun’s special appearance on ‘Kingdom‘ created a buzz among viewers.
- Soon after her appearance in the series she was confirmed to play the role of Ashin in ‘Kingdom‘ spin-off, ‘Kingdom: Ashin of the North’.
- She worked with screenwriter Kim Eunhee (writer of ‘Kingdom‘) for the second time in tvN drama ‘Cliffhanger’ aka ‘Jirisan’ that will be aired in 2021.
‘White Valentine’ as Jung Min (1999)
‘Il Mare (A Love Story)’ as Eun Joo (2000)
‘My Sassy Girl’ as The Girl (2001)
‘The Uninvited’ as Yeon (2003)
‘Windstruck’ as Yeo Kyung Jin (2004)
‘Daisy’ as Hye Young (2006)
‘A Man Who Was Superman’ as Song Soo Jung (2008)
‘Blood: The Last Vampire as Saya Otonashi (2009)
‘Snow Flower and the Secret Fan’ as Sophia/ Snow Flower (2011)
‘The Thieves’ as Yenicall (2012)
‘The Berlin File’ as Ryun Jung Hee (2013)
‘Assassination’ as Ahn Ok Yun/ Mitsuko (2015)
‘Steal My Heart’ as Ka Yeong (SBS/ 1998)
‘Happy Together’ as Seo Yoon Joo (SBS/ 1998)
‘My Love from the Star’ as Cheon Song Yi (SBS/ 2013-2014)
‘Legend of the Blue Sea’ as Sim Cheong/ Se Hwa (SBS/ 2016-2017)
‘Kingdom‘ as Ashin (Netflix/ 2020/ Cameo)
‘Kingdom: Ashin of the North’ as Ashin (Netflix/ 2021/ Kingdom special episode)
‘Jirisan‘ aka ‘Cliffhanger’ as Seo Yi Kang (tvN/ 2021)
‘SBS Inkigayo’ (1998/ as MC)
‘Will You Understand’ by Cho Kyu Man (1997)
‘The Beginning of Love’ by Leon Lai (1999)
‘Hey Girl’ by Jang Hyuk of T.J Project (2000)
‘Love of the Sun and the Moon’ by Jang Hyuk of T.J Project (2000)
‘Love Is Always Thirsty’ by Yumi (2002)
If you have more fun facts about Jun Ji Hyun, write down in the comment section below!